Dental Crowns And Why They Are Needed
A dental crown is a cap in the shape of a tooth placed on top of the patient’s tooth to help restore the size, shape, strength, and enhance its appearance. They are classified under restorative dentistry because they help save a tooth from complete damage.
When put in place, the crown covers the entire part of the tooth on and above the gum. Sometimes, the patients can consider having partial crowns that cover only the affected part of the tooth.
Anytime patients consider having a crown, it is best they choose the best dentist, Surprise AZ.
For crowns, there are several types that are available for patients to choose from.
- Stainless steel crowns- They are placed over permanent teeth temporarily to protect it or protect a filling as a permanent crown is being made. They can also be used in kids where they are placed over primary teeth to keep them from decaying. When the primary tooth is removed, the crown comes off with it. They are affordable and fast to fit over the tooth.
- Metal crowns- The crowns made from metal can withstand chewing and biting and last the longest. Most of them are made from alloys containing platinum or gold. However, they are very costly and are mostly recommended for molars at the back of the mouth.
- Porcelain- Metal crowns- These crowns are made with metal coated with porcelain and can be made to match the teeth. However, sometimes the color of the metal can show over the porcelain as a dark line, mostly at the gum line.
- Sometimes, the porcelain part of the crown can break or chip off. They can be used for teeth at the front or back of the mouth.
- Resin crowns- These are the least expensive crowns available. However, they are prone to wearing down and fractures than other crowns.
- Ceramic and porcelain crowns- These crowns are better if the patient needs crowns made to match the adjacent teeth. They are also suitable for people who are allergic to metal. They can be used for teeth in front or at the back of the mouth.
Crowns can be permanent or temporary. Permanent crowns are mostly made in laboratories while temporary ones can easily be made by the dentist in the office. Most temporary ones are made from stainless steel or acrylic-based material while awaiting a permanent crown to be made.
It may be hard for patients to determine whether they need a crown or not. It is hard to determine when someone needs restorative dentistry because, most of the time, only general dentistry is done.
Patients can know if they need a crown if they notice these signs:
- A huge cavity on the tooth that may be too large for a tooth filling.
- A severely worn out tooth.
- A crack on the tooth.
- A weakened tooth.
Other times when a crown may be needed is immediately after a root canal since the tooth becomes weak and needs to be protected. If the dentist needs to put a tooth implant or dental bridge to a gap in the mouth, a dental crown is also recommended.
Benefits Of Dental Crowns
Crowns have various benefits to general dental health and appearance.
1. Protect Teeth From Damage
It is normal for teeth to have small cracks on them, given the work they do every single day. However, not managing those small cracks on the teeth can cause havoc over time. They might grow into cavities, cause sensitivity, or even pain on the tooth.
Continuous chewing on the cracked tooth will eventually weaken the tooth and damage its structure. Having a crown cemented on the tooth protects it from further cracking and prevents food build-ups in the cracks, preventing cavities and decays.
They also strengthen the tooth and maintain its proper structure. That way, the tooth remains strong and healthy no matter what they chew or how long they chew.
2. Beautiful Smile
Everybody wants to show off that healthy pearl white smile in big crowds and photos. Well, crowns will help with that. Even with teeth that have sustained a lot of damage and cracks or even discoloration, it is possible to have a beautiful, healthy smile.
Crowns can be made to have the same color as the adjacent teeth to make the users feel beautiful and confident. They can also be customized into the color that the patient feels will suit them best.
They correct many dental problems that may make it hard for people to smile like crooked or misshapen teeth.
3. Get Rid Of Discomfort
Having a week tooth caused a lot of discomfort, sensitivity, and even pain. Also, there are teeth in the mouth that can be cracked, leaving some sharp edges that may cut into the mouth, gum, or cheeks, making it a real struggle when chewing.
Another problem that may cause discomfort is tooth decay or cavity. Having a root canal can also weaken the tooth, which may bring about sensitivity and discomfort. Having a crown on the affected teeth will help get rid of all those problems.
They help give the weak teeth support and help cover up the cracks and sharp edges that may cut into the gums or cheeks.
Other benefits that crowns have are:
- Holding dental bridges in place
- Covering dental implants
- Making cosmetic modifications
- Protecting children’s teeth from decay mostly when kids can’t keep up oral hygiene daily
Crowns are one of the dental procedures that help solve a wide range of problems for patients. Getting the best dentist to fix them will determine the quality of the services and how long the crowns will last.
For the best dentist surprise, and affordable dental care Surprise, patients can visit West Bell Dental Care in Surprise, Arizona. They have the best prices and most quality dental services patients can ask for.